Sunday 4 March 2012

To release or not to release?

That is - indeed - the question. Let's back-track just a little bit, allow me to explain. I've been sending a lot of work off to various big name labels (can't find contact details to the smaller Trance labels) - why you ask? Being indie is great but I don't personally have the marketing pull / stronghold / resources these big companies have.

I digress. After sending off a few promo's the consensus on my latest track "Cityscape" has been that it's technically great and mixed / mastered perfectly - BUT - and a huge BUT - it's not what industry is looking for right now.

This is good and bad for many reasons, to keep a DJ's set consistent you have to source / supply tracks that fit / work together. The bad side is you get much of the same being produced and in the end nothing that really breaks out from the norm.

With this feeling I am a bit reluctant to release my latest work - as it too - is different :-) So where to from here?

I think the end point is the fact that we make music to express ourselves just as an artist puts brush to canvas or a writer ink to paper - you know what? I think I'll be releasing the new track.

No comments:

Post a Comment